If you are living with an extended family, you should take the same precautions to avoid COVID-19 infection as other people. You and your child can help protect yourselves by:
- Wash hands as often as possible with soap for 20 seconds (or use alcohol sanitiser)
- Try to stay more than 2 meters away from others, if you can and avoid crowded spaces.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Practice respiratory hygiene. This means cough or sneeze into your bent elbow covering your mouth and nose, or into a tissue which you must then throw straight away into a closed container and wash hands with soap for 20 seconds).
- Do not allow family members to hold your baby unless they have washed hands properly before and after and use a clean homemade mask, each time
- Avoid kissing the baby on the mouth or face.
- Open windows when possible and keep household surfaces clean with 4 teaspoons bleach in 1 litre of water. Keep bleach out of reach of children.
If you have fever, cough or difficulty breathing, seek medical care early. For advice on what to do and where to go, contact the free COVID-19 hotline (0800 029 999/0800 111 132).