Children tend to have a mild type of COVID-19 illness if they get the infection. But they can spread it easily to others. As we go into flu season, children can pick up viruses other than Corona at this time. The symptoms caused by these viruses may be very similar to COVID-19. You should take the usual precautions to avoid COVID-19:
- Wash hands as often as possible with soap for 20 seconds (or use alcohol sanitiser).
- Stay at home
- If breastfeeding, continue with breastfeeding.
- Teach your child to avoid touching his or her face.
- Teach your child respiratory hygiene. This means cough or sneeze into his bent elbow covering mouth and nose, or into a tissue which he or she must then throw straight away into a closed container and wash hands with soap for 20 seconds.
- Your child should not hug or kiss anyone if your child or the other person has flu symptoms.
If your child has fever, cough or difficulty breathing, seek medical care early. For advice on what to do and where to go, contact the free COVID-19 hotline (0800 029999/0800 111 132).